Monday, June 27, 2011

I don't do early morning workouts!

Something that I have discovered over the past 4 years is that there is basically nothing that I will get up for at 5-something in the morning for, ESPECIALLY working out! I did that shit for a long, long time and no part of me wants to do that again. Actually in high school I was up at 4:15am 3 times a week, where in college it was "sleeping in" that I didn't have to be up until 5:38. Yes I timed that alarm clock down to the minute, because I needed 6 minutes to be out the door and as long as I was out the door by 5:45 at the latest, I could be diving in the water by 6am. Today, I have a hard time waking up for work when my alarm goes off. I set it for 6:25 knowing that I will hit the snooze button until 6:45-7am, and it goes off every 5 minutes. Now does that sound like a person that wants to get up even earlier and go work out?! Ya you have to be kidding yourself if you think that is going to happen!

What I have found is that I really enjoy working out during my lunch break at work. My best friend at work feels the same way about mornings and has a little girl so working out in the evenings proves to be difficult for her. Myself, I just want to relax after work, but does taking the dog for a walk count? I know what my sister is going to say here though - "You could take him for a walk more often you know!!" Anyway, my point is that I have a friend at work to work out with me during our lunch breaks, and everyone knows how much easier it is to work out if you have a friend to do it with. We have a small gym at work that we use when it is too damn hot outside. Don't get too excited as it is tiny with very little, but we make it work. We both like working out in the middle of the day because it's a great way to break up the work day and it makes it go by so much faster. Sure I have to eat lunch at my desk, but it is definitely worth it and I enjoy the work out. We did a lot of this at the beginning of the year when I was training for my first 5K. However, since then, which was the end of March, we really haven't done too much.

Two weeks ago we decided that we would work out Monday-Thursday, 2 days cardio and 2 days body weights, strengthening, abs, etc. The first week we did that and OMG my body HATED ME! I haven't been that sore since our trainer in college for swimming would put us through circuits at the beginning of the year. The OMG I'm so sore I can't squat all the way down to pee so you fall the last couple of inches hoping that won't hurt as much as squatting down the rest of the way. HAHA! Then last week my friend got sick and wasn't able to work out, and well I will chalk it up to not having enough motivation to work out by myself yet and didn't do anything. This week we went back at it today. I really wish last week I had worked out because as much as I dread it every day, I really feel better now after working out than I did this morning. I might bitch and whine my way through it, but it's just my way of getting through the work out successfully.

I really am thankful for my friend because she is helping me through this journey, she is helping me stay motivated, and helping me get into the gym and work out. It might not be much right now, but it is baby steps to get me back into wanting to work out, wanting to feel the burn and pain again. Granted, my abs, butt, and legs might hate her tomorrow after that lower body work out we had today, but it's all good and she knows I love her for it anyway! :)  Thanks girl!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

woohoo!! YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THE BURN.. I also enjoy the workout buddy.. we help each other.. don't forget.. its only going to help us in the long run - just no excuses going forward.. unless of course we get sick!! lol.. Thanks to you as well.