Friday, February 10, 2012

Tested

It's funny, my 1st blog yesterday couldn't have come at a better time as I was tested right away last night. Here is what happened - I am sure everyone can relate to this story if you are on a journey to becoming healthy.

My mom was in town and took me and my sister out to dinner to celebrate Valentine's Day, the 3 girls! We went to this nice Mexican Restaurant that I really love - Cantina Laredo - if you have never been and there and there is one around you I highly recommend it! We started off with their guacamole, OMG it is fantastic! They make it with fresh avocados right in front of you with lime, fresh tomato, red onion, cilantro, and jalapenos - Delicious! I don't mind eating that even though it is high in calories and fat, but it is all good for you fat, avocados are just so good for you (they are even called a "power" food)! I ordered the Mahi Mahi tacos on corn tortillas with black beans and grilled veggies which was zucchini (YUMMY). They were also having lady's night which is 1/2 priced margarita's. This was test #1 - I typically now get skinny margaritas, less calories and sugar and honesty I like them better because there is less sugar in them. The alcohol is still the same so WIN in my book. However, the 1/2 priced margs didn't include the skinny ones so I didn't want to be difficult, especially since I knew my mom was going to pick up the bill so I got the regular. I enjoyed it, didn't let it bother me, except I only had 1 instead of 2 if I had had the skinny. No biggie in my book, I was really only feeling like 1 anyway so Yay passed the first test!

Test #2 came when the table of 4 ladies next to us ordered Mexican Brownies. You see they "make" them by the table like the guacamole - great marketing/ selling scheme because they place this big hunk of browine down on a hot fajita plate so it sizzles and then they pour this hot brandy butter sauce over it so it sizzle, bubbles, and steams like crazy - you can't miss this "show" if you are near it and talk about making you want one too! Well that happened to my mom and sister since it was literally done right in front of our table, seriously like you would have thought they were making it for us not the table next to us. Next thing I knew my mom ordered 1 for the 3 of us. When I tell you it is a huge hunk of brownie I am not lying, it's a brick of a brownie. They top it with that brandy butter sauce, omg it was amazing and then they scoop a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. I am not a big fan of vanilla so for me that part was just like whatever, haha. It came to our table and I looked at and my mind immediately went to omg how many calories do you think just 1 bite is, how many have I already eaten tonight, how many do I have left, and I just when I was convinencing myself that I didn't need the brownie, which I might add that brownies are my FAVORITE my sister looked at me and just said enjoy it it's valentine's day with our mom. That little sentence made me smile and the spoon dove into the brownie for a big bite with lots of sauce and OMG HEAVEN in my mouth! I immediately scooped up another big bite and enjoyed a couple more after that too. :)

I left and I haven't even calculated the calories from last night - I just don't care I really enjoyed myself with my mom last night. Granted I did have a small, little mental fight with myself over desert, but after I decided to take the bite that all left and I just enjoyed myself. This morning I feel fine and yes it is still on my mind, but not because I am upset for eating it, but because it was soo damn good I want another bite! hahahahahaha! Life is definitely too short to not enjoy the sizzling, bubbling, delicious brownie from time to time. It's not like I eat that all the time, in fact I honestly can't remember the last time I ate desert like that. I am definitely someone that enjoys life and I have made it clear that I am not going to let food tie me down. I originally said that in that I wasn't going to eat and eat and be unhealthy, but I also need to realize that it goes the other way too. It can't let you not live and not enjoy good times because you are afraid of the calories or the fat because it isn't on your "diet". I am sure I am not the only one that needs to remember that from time to time. I think the best way to become healthy is to realize that you can control all normal routine times, but the special moments, the times we can't control, and just the random times too, let life intervine and just go with it, enjoy it all!

That's my lesson from last night. I am happy this morning and looking forward to the weekend! I hope you are too - ENJOY IT!

No comments: