Thursday, June 23, 2011

Healthy Mexican?

This evening I am set to go eat Mexican with my boyfriend. I LOVE Mexican... but then again who doesn't? The issue I am having, and I quote my friend "how do you chose the salad over the enchiladas"? Not to mention as Cooking Light says in an article about what to eat at Mexican restaurants: "margaritas, salsa, and chips (a combination quite possibly created by the culinary gods)" - How do you pass up that combination? Part of the reason we are going today is because of the 2 for 1 margs until 6 or 7pm. You also cannot NOT have chips and salsa when you are at a Mexican restaurant! Hello best free app ever! :) Not to mention it is one of my favorite things of all time, seriously I can eat the heck out of some chips and salsa any day!

Okay so I did some searching online to find out what I shouldn't eat when it comes to Mexican and here is what I found out:
  1. Make sure you pick a soft tortilla since they are baked and not crispy because they have been fried, but if you can have corn always take that choice. (Shouldn't be too hard since crispy taco shells are my least favorite, but I do love a good chalupa).
  2. Always choose the black beans over the refried beans. (Not a problem I like black beans better anyway).
  3. Selecting salsa as a starter, topping, garnish or side and you'll know you're making the right choice as long as you use it in moderation. (The moderation part will be the hard part for me, I LOVE salsa).
  4. Try to avoid cheese as much as possible, as you know they are not using low-fat versions, however, you can always ask for low-fat. Pick the grilled meats over ground, pulled, etc as these will always have less fat.
  5. Red or green sauces are better than white sauces.
  6. I found the below list and thought I would share since it is a good quick resource.

LOWER CALORIE FOODS:               HIGHER CALORIE FOODS:
Gazpacho                                                 Tortilla chips

Corn tortillas with salsa                             Nachos with cheese

Ceviche                                                    Flour tortillas

Chicken fajitas                                          Chorizo

Enchiladas                                                Carnitas

Camarones de hacha                                Refried beans

Arroz con pollo                                        Quesadillas with cheese
Cheeseless burritos                                   Beef tacos

Grilled fish or chicken breast                     Burritos with cheese

Frijoles a la charra                                    Beef and cheese enchilada

Borracho beans and rice                          Chimichangas

Soft chicken taco                                     Sour cream and guacamole

Chicken tostada                                       Frozen margaritas and pina coladas

Salsa, pico de gallo, and cilantro
Jalapeno peppers
From: http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/032205.htm (Has the same Good/Bad for other types of food like Chinese, Italian, French, etc!)




I also found some great tips for both eating out and cooking at home Mexican Food on the LiveStrong.com website: http://www.livestrong.com/article/345747-mexican-food-guide-to-healthy-eating/

I will let you know how it goes! :) I am at least armed and prepared now.

1 comment:

TIffany Gowens said...

Yes Neb- I know we both love Mexican. So hard when you go to a mexican restaurant but it is doable. I making black bean and mango shrimp tacos tonight as well! I am so excited!