Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Comfort food is the best medicine

This morning I woke up not feeling well, my throat was on fire and I was running a temperature of 99.7 degrees. Not too high, but I normally sit around 97.2/97.5 so definitely a temperature. I didn't feel too bad so I decided to work from home than take the day off. Glad I did too... it's been a busy day so tomorrow would have been nuts if I did take it off. Anyway, went to the doctor and got some antibiotics so I am all good now.

Anyway the point I am making is why is it that when you aren't feeling well you start craving the comfort foods? My ultimate comfort food, my mom's homemade spaghetti sauce! I always bring some back with me when I go home and freeze it for days like this when I need some of my mom's warmth. haha! I have however learned to make it pretty close to my moms. In fact last time my sister thought it was my mom's not mine. YAY what a compliment. :)   Anyway, I took some out of the freezer when I got back from the doctor's office for tonight. It is actually really pretty healthy for you as it is just lean ground beef with the fat poured off once browned, garlic and onions, lots of tomatoes of course and some spices. The change I have made since my growing up years, whole wheat pasta. I still like the regular better, but I know that the whole wheat is better for me and I do like it so why not. :) I think I might steam up some broccoli too and call it a meal tonight. It's like having my mom cook for me when she is soo far away. Thanks mom for making me feel better tonight!! :)

On another note - Bummed I missed out on my work out today! We started this Jilian Michael's 30-day Shred video. WOW 1st workout yesterday and I was sweating like crazy and if you know me I don't sweat so that is saying something. My friend did it again today and I was jealous. That is a new feeling for me - jealous over someone working out without me! I like it! :) I guess I will go at it again tomorrow. BTW we got the video online at Amazon for $6.99, signed up for the trial "Prime Member" to get the free shipping (just cancel the next day and you won't get charged). Super cheap for lots of good workouts. Start to finish its like 25 minutes or something like that which is great for us with the lunch hour work outs. They may not be long workouts but WOW they get your heart rate up and breathing hard and muscles burning. I was quite impressed and wanted to share.

No comments: