Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eat this, NOT that!


A friend shared the 2011 edition of "Eat this, Not that!" with me and I got to looking through it and decided that based off my earlier blog, today deserved a second blog.

Fast Food Hamburgers: I started looking through it for burgers since that was a down fall of mine this past weekend and thought I would share the information I found:


  1. (page 18) "It comes from a cow, yes, but before being stuffed into the bun of a Whopper or Big Mac, fast-food hamburger patties pass through the hand of a company called Beef Products. The company specializes in taking slaughterhouses trimmings traditionally used only in pet food and cooking them in oil and turning them into patties. The challenge is getting this by-product meat clean enough for human consumption, as both E. coli and salmonella like to concentrate themselves in the fatty deposits. So how does Beef Products go about 'cleaning' the meat? With an approach similar to what you might use in your bathroom - by using ammonia."
  2. Whopper w/cheese = 770 calories, 48g of fat (16g of sat fat, 1.5g of trans fat), and 140 of sodium. However, if you 86 the mayo like I did you save yourself about 150 calories and 18g of fat. Thankfully I did that!
  3. Did you know that you can ask them to use the Junior size cheese and bun on the regular burger? It will save you on average at different fast food chains 100 calories?

Okay so my craving for Fast Food Cheeseburgers will never be fed again after reading #1! SERIOUSLY GROSS! I learned A LOT from that book and definitely going to be using it a lot. Looks like the worst restaurant for you is the Cheesecake Factory and things like Lean Cusines keep poping up on the "Not this". Interesting!

Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

Jenny Rougas said...

You should read the book "In Defense of Food". It's really eye opening and actually a very interesting read! As for the burgers.... I heard about that and looked into it. Turns out that burgers from chains and also "bubba burgers" type burgers not only are made of byproducts and scrubbed before consumption, but there are up to 1000 cows in each burger!! BLACH!! Yep. I stopped eating the super processed burgers all together after reading that and became much more picky. There is a silver lining! You can still eat burgers though. Just go to a local butcher, or Native Sun. Those places buy local (Florida)cows 2-3 at a time and process them inhouse, so you know what you are getting and any problem can be easily tracked to the farm they came from.

Honesty is my Diet said...

I might have to check out that book - thanks for suggesting it.

THAT'S GROSS! I flippin love burgers too and that's just soo nasty to read. Definitely has turned me off the processed crap.