Friday, July 15, 2011

Scratched the Swimming Itch

For 16 years of my life jumping into a pool was a normal feeling and second nature for me. I felt more comfortable in a swimsuit than in normal clothes at times. Pulling myself through the water was smooth and easy and even enjoyable at times. Almost 4.5 years ago I stopped doing all of that; I retired from swimming after my senior year in college. I jumped in the pool a couple of times after I was done but that only had a brief breath and soon stopped completely. 4 years later I haven't swam a single lap until yesterday!

I lost a bet to my boyfriend on a round of Mini Golf. If I lost I had to get back into the pool with him; he is a former swimmer too who still dabbles in lap swimming from time to time. I call the bet unfair since this particular game of mini golf was just a couple days after my surgery and by hole 11 I was struggling walking around so of course he was going to win! hehe! Regardless, I don't back down from a bet I make so yesterday I put a swim suit, cap & goggles back on for the first time in 4 years and jumped into the pool at the YMCA. WOW that was a weird feeling just jumping into the pool let alone having my body do something that it "knows" how to do, but doesn't come naturally anymore. haha! The majority of my pull I just slipped through the water, I could kinda recover on the end but all that arm strength is gone. It took me about 700 yards to figure out how to make my arms and legs work together without having to really think about it, and within about 300 yards I was breathing like I had just run a 5K!

Here was my "practice" = 1200 yards

1 x 200 Freestyle warm-up
1 x 200 Kick 
       (50 free kick w/board, 50 fly kick w/ board, 100 fly kick on back)
1 x 200 IM Drill
       (Fly - 1 arm, Back - 1 arm, Breast - fly kick, Free - Catch-up)
1 x 100 IM swim
4 x 50 Free on 45 seconds
4 x 25 Fly on 30 seconds
1 x 200 warm down


I was surprised by how much my body "remembered" and how I could still do a back to breast flip-turn, still somewhat swim fly, and felt decent in the water. I was surprised by how much breathing was an issue; halfway through the workout I'm coming right up from my turns like a little kid popping my head right up trying to breath. Kicking off walls was impossible, and breathing every 3 proved to be difficult. The 4th 50 free on 45 seconds my arms turned to jello and I had basically no pull because I was soo  tired! Basically my feel for the water was GONE, but that is to be expected with a 4 year break from the pool! haha! By the way, don't feel nearly as comfortable in a swim suit as I use to - definitely kept pulling the suit down my hips, made sure my butt was always covered and the girls just don't really fit in top anymore so I was always trying to adjust the top too. (not sure they ever did, but now it's even more of a problem - haha!)

I liked it regardless of the awkwardness and difficulties so I have decided that I am going to swim Mondays and Thursdays to start off and see how things go. My boyfriend is going to join me too so that will definitely make it easier with him being there.  I need to get a new suit as only 1 of my old suits still fits me and being that it is a polysuit, the suit is still good but the straps are shot as elastic doesn't really last 4 years. hehe! I only have metallic goggles so I need to go get a new pair that aren't so dark since the YMCA's pool is indoors. Anyway, I decided to scratch the swimming itch I have been getting lately and see where it takes me. I am excited about it and will keep you updated on how things go!

No comments: