Friday, August 19, 2011

"Struggled"


Yesterday I "struggled" a lot with working out. Here's what I mean:

1.) 11:30 comes, normal lunch workout time and I head downstairs to go change. I'm unpacking my bag with my stuff and realize I didn't have any shorts! I did however pack 1 t-shirt, 2 sports bras, and 3 pairs of socks. WTF!?!?! haha I guess I was still asleep when I was packing my workout bag yesterday. HAHA! Needless to say my workout partner and I decided to use the "struggle" as an opportunity to go eat out for the first time in a while. Unless I have something for work I always work out and bring my lunch hand so does my friend. We rarely eat out so that kinda ended up being a nice treat. We went to Salsarita's - if you have one near you GO! It's delicious and fresh but stay away from the Pico de Galo because oh WOW sodium! Their website is great too because it has a build your own so you know what you get. I love these! :)

2.) I still wanted to get a work out in so I headed to the YMCA after work yesterday for a work out. My initial goal was 30 minutes of the elliptical and then my August Team Challenge exercises in a circuit afterwards. I hoped on the machine and plugged in 35 minutes, I was feeling good so what's 5 more minutes?! Ya WOW I was really "struggling" yesterday pushing myself. I don't know if it was the high levels of sodium the past 2 days or what but I really struggled. For 35 minutes it was 5 minutes warm-up, 5 minutes hard/fast, 5 minutes easier, 5 minutes hard/fast, 5 minutes easier, 5 minutes hard/fast, and 5 minutes recovery. I made it through the 2nd hard/fast and I really just wanted to quit! That was only 20 minutes. I didn't think I could do another 15 minutes and especially another 5minutes of hard/fast so I opted to at least stick it out for the 30 minutes I originally planned for but did those last 10 minutes on the easier setting with the last 2 minutes recovery. Even though it wasn't as great of a cardio session as I have done in the past, it was a small victory because I was "struggling" and I pushed myself to not take the easy road and hop off the machine, but instead listen to my body, slow it down a bit, and make it through.

3.) I next did my circuit: 50 jumping jacks, 12 wood chops, 1 set of 21's, and 50 abs four times through. I Gathered my equipment I needed over in a little cubby area with a mirror. I got through half way and was on the 3rd set and on the Wood Chops using a kettle bell when a lady next to me said the following to me:
    
     "WOW are you a swimmer you have huge shoulders?!" I replied with, "I use to be, but retired 4.5 years
     ago." She then came back with and I quote: "Well you have really kept your strength and muscles
     definition up then over those 4 years."

I just said "Thank you" but inside I wasn't sure how to take that. I hadn't done anything in 4.5 years except gain weight. I hadn't swam a lap until about a monthish ago and really hadn't lifted a weight until about 2 months ago. I s"struggled" with that as it kinda stung a little bit for a second, but then I thought about how big my shoulders use to be when I was swimming - serious linebacker! haha! Even if I had lost weight, the structure was there and I wasn't going to lose that bulkiness in my shoulders. Yes there is more fat there then there use to be but I am always going to have big shoulders, it's just part of who I am. What I am doing now is working on toning them, working on losing weight, working on getting back into shape. They will stay large, but the fat will go away slowly and that is what I focused on instead!


Yesterday I did "struggle" in many different ways, but like I said in my blog yesterday - "Emotional Roller Coaster High", life can't be "peachy-keane" all the time. It has it's ups and downs and yesterday had a couple of each. It's about turning lemons in lemonade as corney as that might sound. How can I take something that I know I will "struggle" with and make it into a positive situation? Experience and learning is the only way those things can happen and that's what I am doing now, learning how to turn my "struggles" into something I am proud of.


Happy Friday and I hope you have a great weekend!



PS - Before my birthday I told you in a blog on July 19th - "Being healthy is the goal" that I bought a dress at one of my favorite stores, Anthropologie, for my birthday and that I would post a picture. I haven't forgotten, I was just waiting on getting all the pictures from my birthday and then picking one that I liked the best. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking and didn't take one full length, but this one is cute and you can see a lot of the dress. Here you go!








 

1 comment:

TIffany Gowens said...

Its Alright Neb! We are just built that way. Be Proud of our bodies and that we were a division 1 stud swimmer @ Texas A&M( a top program in the country)! I got asked a few weeks ago if I threw away a powerlifting trophy in the trash and after I told him NO,he proceeded to ask me are you sure like three times. WE all have those days!!!!