Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Looking towards Saturday

Yesterday was a rough day let me tell you. Work was busy and crazy and then 4pm rolled around, which I was thankful but at the same time kinda nervous about it, 4 miles ouch. I had planned out a new route and thought it would be great but I was wrong. There is a lot to say about feeling comfortable on the road while running relating to how you run. I am use to running on a road by my work that has big shoulders so you feel safe running. Majority of the route yesterday didn't have that. In fact there was no shoulder so I did a lot running along the line and then into the grass/sand/rocks back onto the road, back onto the grass/sand/rocks which was just not fun. I was more worried about the cars and trucks around me that how I was running went out the window. My breathing was crap, my calves were absolute rocks and on fire, and I am sure my posture was horrid. Basically that was a cocktail for the run just not going well. I stopped just short of 2.5 miles and had to stretch my calves out again a pole they hurt soo bad. That helped for sure but they were still on fire. I also had to stop a bit further down and walk a bit because I was just struggling. I probably only walked for a minute at absolute most, but whatever. I was a bit bummed because at 4.25 (4 mile run and 0.25 warm-up) took me 45 minutes and on Sunday with the 4 bridges I did it in 44 minutes.

I thought about it all the way home and decided that the comfort awareness was different, I had to stop completely once and walked for a minute too which I didn't have any 3 of these elements on Sunday with the bridge runs. I am just going to shake it off and move on. Tomorrow I run 2 miles to taper into my run on Saturday.  know I will be fine on Saturday, it's a mental game and it starts now with not getting chopped down by yesterday's run. My calves still hurt today but the heating pad came with me to work again and is tied around my leg and I will be working on them all day! Back on track Meghan, back on Track!

Today I swim after work. The goal is to just take it easy, keep it long and just get in the distance. No fast stuff, just long and aerobic. Plus I am hoping that that will help loosen up and shake out some of the aches in my body like my legs. On top of that I am exhausted! This increase in exercise volume is starting to catch up to me. I am going to keep going but there is nothing wrong with taking it down a notch intensity and leaving the distance or time aspects in place.

Well that means today 35-40 minutes aerobic swimming, tomorrow 2 mile run, day of rest and then race on Saturday at 2pm. I am probably going to stretch like crazy on Friday, well okay not crazy but you know what I mean. I am nervous but really looking forward to this run on Saturday and that is what I am focusing on from this point forward.

No comments: