Friday, January 27, 2012

Racing with Myself

Was it just me or did this week really go by quickly? I'm not complaining because everyone knows that my favorite 2 days are Saturday and Sunday! Granted I think most people would say the same thing, the weekend is just so nice - 48 hours to do whatever you want at any point of the day.

This weekend I have a busy Saturday and one that I am really looking forward to, even though I do have butterflies in my stomach. Tomorrow is my 5 mile race. I kinda laugh when I say race because I am not trying to place or anything like that, however, when I think about it, it's like swimming and that it's a race for yourself. I really like that since I have really missed that mental game with yourself since I stopped swimming competitively almost 5 years ago. My goal is to run faster than 49:00 minutes. It can be 48.99 and I will be thrilled, as that is all it takes to be seated at the Gate River Run in March. The run is called "Run 5 to Keep Kids Alive", it's a 5 mile race to hep benefits kids at a local children's hospital. There is also an Ultra Marathon, 55 miles the same day earlier that really is rasing money for these 55 children in need. The course is 5 miles with 2 bridges and they are doing that loop 11 times - that's 22 total bridges! Holy Cow!

I am sticking with the 5 mile race at 2pm. This will be the longest I have ever run at one time ever in my whole life. Those that know me know that I am not a runner and especially after I hurt my knee my freshman year at Texas A&M. I am looking forward to this step 1 in my personal challenge to run a 15K. I will be using my Nike+ app like I normally do when I run so between 2-2:49pm EST if you are freiends with me on Facebook please cheer for me! I really can hear it when I am running and I know I can use all the support tomorrow. Oh did I mention my boyfriend's mom is going to run with me? She is an amazing runner, has done many marathons, in fact she did the NYC Marathon back in November and did another one in September too last year. I am excited she wants to do it with me and looking forward to running with her tomorrow.

I also schedued a hair appointment at 11am. I figured it would be a good way to get me up and going on Saturday morning because I will need to eat a good breakfast before then so I am wake and ready to go at 2pm. I really can't wait to challenge myself tomorrow! Today's objectives are to drink lots of water to get myself to optimal hydration, carbo load, and to make a perfect running playlist for tomorrow. I have random running mixes, but I want to make a mix that is exactly waht I want to listen to when I know I will. I also need to do some laundry tonight so I can get the running gear I feel the most comfortable wearing clean and ready for tomorrow. I am excited because I am doing this tomorrow for me, proving to myself that I still can challenge myself and step up to the plate and do this. My boyfriend said that he has no doubt I can go under 49 minutes because he knows me and knows that I can do anything I set my mind to. He has to work all weekend, but said he will be thinking happy thoughts my way when I am running and cheering me on.

I promise I will get on either Saturday afte the race or on Sunday and let everyone know how I did! Until then have a great Friday and Saturday! :)

No comments: