Monday, June 11, 2012

Soaking Wet Trident

Well I am still alive after my first Triathlon! Let me tell you that was an experience. On the way to the beach it starts sprinkling. We get there and it's fine but very cloudy and still quite dark for 6:30am. We go drop our surf boards down and go check in to get our ankle time monitors. When we go back to our boards to put them in the racks since they weren't up when we got there it begins to sprinkle. At that point we decide to take our bags back to the truck and leave them inside so they don't get too wet. On the way back to the truck it begins to rain harder. By the time we get to the truck it's pouring, seriously POURING! Thankfully I had decided to run in just my 2 piece swim suit and a sports bras on top and running shoes. Besides my shoes being full of water it wasn't too bad being soaked from head to toe - no joke. It was like I had jumped into a pool. Fantastic!

We were walking back to the beach and just laughing because this was ridiculous! They had already canceled the swim  leg and told us instead you get to keep running but in the water -YIPPIE - j/k! I would have soo much rather swam than had to have keep running. Apparently the lifeguards didn't want to have to save everyone. LOL! We finally decide to say screw it we are doing this anyway, we are here and it's still going on and it's not like we can get any wetter.

Originally we were very competitive and who was going to beat who, me or my fiance. We didn't even want to start by each other so that we couldn't be distracted or be "pushed" to run a different race than we wanted to. Well at 7:25am when we headed to the starting line for a 7:30 start soaked from head to toe and our feet in our own puddles called our shoes we just didn't care anymore. Plus the swim had been canceled so it wasn't the same race as he did last year so it really just didn't matter. We decided to start together and I am glad we did, especially since I had opted out of running with my iPhone. I always run with it because it tracks my pace, time, mileage with the Nike+ GPS app and I listen to music which honestly is the most important part. I didn't want it to get ruined with all the rain so I left it in the truck in my bag. I had never run without music before so this was going to be interesting, so running with him even though we didn't talk was definitely helpful. We ran together for the first 2 miles when he had to stop and walk for a bit. I kept going and caught up with my Aggie teammate to basically finish out the race - thank God for her because I was starting to struggle, especially without the music to zone out with. We finished the run and stripped out of our shoes and such and away we went to continue to run in the water - BOO!

Finally the paddle - this was the hardest part. Correction getting out beyond the surf was the hardest part! It was quite rough and the waves we some of the largest I had ever seen at Jax Beach. Since it was a paddle a long board was required, the problem with a long board is getting out with larger surf, you can't duck dive! You have to do this thing called the turtle roll which Friday night was the first time I had ever done it. Oh well I made it out there eventually. Paddling though was an interesting experience - WOW I have lost a lot of muscle in my arms and shoulders. They were burning from the moment I hopped onto the board. Once I finally got out there I figured out if I put my head as far down as I could and kept my arms low to the water I could get a lot from each pull and my arms, neck and back didn't burn too bad. They still did but figuring out that little technique was my savor. I booked along passing A LOT of people. In fact I went too far on the paddle, one of the lifeguards on jet skis had to come by me and tell me I had gone to far and could start to head in. OOPS! LOL! Going in was great, I caught a wave all the way in and it was like heaven! I saw a lot of boards on the ground but I decided to finish with mine in hand.

It was a lot of fun and 1:04.25 was my final time. 32.47 5K run, 6.53 for the "swim/run" and 23.45 for the paddle. All in all a good time and definitely something I would do again next year! Plus I beat my fiance by basically 2 minutes and I beat his time from last year so in 1 time I beat him twice - Love It! :) Hey we might have said screw it but I am still competitive at heart and nature so sorry babe it had to be said. LOVE YOU!

As promised here's a picture of me: (ignore the hair it was still somewhat pulled back in pigtails and looks ridiculous!)



No comments: