Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A 1/2 Marathon is in my Future!

It's official - I signed up for my first 1/2 Marathon! It's the 26.2 with Donna (I'm only doing the 1/2 NOT the full marathon) on Sunday, February 17, 2013. It's the National Marathon to Finish Breast Cancer. I thought it was appropriate for my 1st 1/2 marathon since I bought my dress from Brides Against Breast Cancer and my mother's best friend died of breast cancer at age 34. I'm excited but nervous all at the same time.

I filled out the paperwork this morning and put it in an envelope, sealed it and put a stamp on it. It's sitting in our mailbox as I type this right now. There is no going back now. Check it out:



I was reluctant at first. I have been thinking about it and thinking about it and thinking about it. Should I do it, should I not do it? People have made the comment - "Do you really want to be training like that when you are planning a wedding for just 2 months later?  My comment back each time is this year when I was training for my first 15K - The Gate River Run-  in March I was the happiest I have been in a while. It took my mind off things and I was very productive in all aspects of my life. I think it would be a great way to get my mind off the wedding and something to be proud about. Plus what a great way to motivate myself to get in shape and look awesome in my dress! :)

I found a training program with Hal Higdon, same guy that I used for my 15K training that I really liked, for my 1/2 marathon. He has 4 levels for the 1/2 marathon - Novice 1, Novice 2, Intermediate and Advance. I decided to go with the Novice 2 - check out what I will be doing.  I think it will be good and challenging all at the same time but keep me motivated which is the most important aspect to me. I chose Novice 2 over Novice 1 because Novice 1 only gets you to 10 miles, while Novice 2 gets you to 12 miles. I have had a few friends run a 1/2 before and only go to 10 miles in training and they have said go further if you can. I know I can do 10 miles because I have done a 15K which is 9.36 miles so 10 is definitely doable - I need something to prove to me I can do this 13.1 miles race because I did 12 miles!

Well I have already put my training schedule into my calendar. It's going to be hard because it starts on November 26 (really Nov. 27th because the 26th is a rest day) and I am in Seattle that week for work. Looks like I am going to have to be diligent and get to the gym at my hotel. The 2nd week I am in New Orleans, so again definitely going to have to be motivated and dedicated. It climbs up fast with the 1st week's Saturday run (that's the long runs) at 4 miles and the 2nd week is at 5 miles. The weekday runs are 3 miles during those 2 weeks. That means I have to be comfortable running 3 miles. It will definitely make it easier for me if I have gotten to the point where 3 miles is no biggie by the time this program starts. Looks like I need to start seeing the road pretty soon and get going!

No comments: