Monday, September 24, 2012

Encouragement

It's Monday again and it's like the restart button - have you ever thought about that? The problem is that when like Wednesday comes around many people decide that they will just wait till Monday to start back up if they haven't done anything thus far in the week. I know I have been GUILTY of that lately, okay for many months now. I've even used the phrase next month! LOL!

I had some encouragement though this weekend as a friend completed his 1st Ironman on Saturday, which in itself is amazing but then you add he caught a horrible stomach bug Friday evening and vomited the entire way, having to stop for 55 minutes after the bike for an IV and even with the medics saying he shouldn't continue he did and finished! That is an amazing showing of strong will, determination, and believing in yourself! He posted a comment on facebook yesterday that really got to me and it's something I want to share. Thanks Ryan you're amazing!

I know some people hate when others post about their workouts/exercise on Facebook. But I want to tell all my fitness friends out there to keep it up. Yesterday, I achieved a lifelong goal of finishing a 140.6-mile ironman triathlon, in spite of coming down with a stomach bug on Friday that had me up all night with diarrhea and vomiting. After the bike portion I was disoriented and dehydrated and 
spent 55 minutes in an ambulance for an IV. The EMT's didn't want me to go back out but I told my dad I didn't put in all that training to come here and quit.

Through all this training, there were often days I didn't want to get out there. But then I'd see statuses about my friends out there making themselves healthier and stronger doing their couch-to-5k, or their first half marathon, or their boot camp, or their crossfit. All of you motivated me and kept me going, and thought about you all yesterday. The people who hate when others talk about their workouts in FB are usually the people doing nothing. I say ignore 'em. Keep sharing your struggles, goals, triumphs and achievements with your FB friends around the world. You never know who you're going to inspire.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and the kind texts and messages yesterday.
"When I get older, I will be stronger" - K'naan 


Today I won't be able to work out they way I want to at lunch but it's for a good cause - once a year Chili's Grill & Bar donates 100% of it's profits to the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and I ALWAYS eat there on that day. Well today is that day so if you don't have lunch plans or dinner plans (take out works too because it's 100% of it's profits from today period) go eat at Chili's. They have "healthier/ lighter" options too. I recommend either the Margarita Chicken w/ black beans and w/o rice replace with steamed broccoli or the Grilled Chicken Salad. Both are yummy! ENJOY!

No comments: