Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Run Meghan Run

I was so happy with today's run that I thought it deserved it's own blog post and the 2nd one for today. I just couldn't wait till tomorrow to talk about it!

I was excited about running this morning when I got to work but as the morning went on it became a bit lack luster. By 11:30 when I typically go I was elbow deep in trying to get something done for a colleague and then another one asked me to show her something right after. By noon my stomach was growling at me and all I wanted to do was feed it. Finally at 12:25 I was done and it took everything I had to go run, I was so hungry and just wanted to eat. I popped 2 Bloks (if you've never tried these, it's basically a chewy, gummy GU) to put some fast energy into my system since I was hungry and probably in need of some fuel to run.

I headed out and didn't have the greatest of attitudes I will admit. I wanted to eat! lol! The fat girl was yelling at me but I let the skinny girl win and ran instead. YAY me! :) I started running and it felt okay, nothing that great. The 1st mile I was 10:09, that's right on what I have been running so okay bad attitude and all and I'm still doing well. That's when the competitor in me kicked in. Normally I fall to around 10:30-40 for the 2nd mile so I had a thought, I wonder if I can do a 10:20 or faster for the 2nd mile? So I let that thought take over my mind and the negative thoughts went away. I felt myself run taller, run more with my legs and not full body and brought my hips into it more. I hit the 2nd mile and I was 10:09 again!!! I couldn't believe it. That was the fastest 2 miles since I started back; in fact that was what I was running when I was in shape - 9:30-10:15 minute miles in training. 

I then thought to myself, what can I do for the last 1/2 mile? I started smiling and threw it back 1 more gear and finished the 2.5 miles I needed to run strong. When my Nike+ hit 2.5 miles I had done that last 1/2 mile in 4:48! That's 9:36 pace, WHOOP! 

I really couldn't believe how fast I am getting my legs back. It was definitely rocky and hurt getting back into it but at the 4th week back and doing this well I am looking forward more and more to what I can do training for this 1/2 marathon. It's not that fast yet but it's feeling good which is what I am liking.

By the way I signed up for 2 races this year already: a 6K (3.72823 miles) on Thanksgiving with my fiance's family and a 5K (3.12 miles) on December 16th. Then in 2013 I have the 1/2 Marathon on February 17th that I am already signed up for and I still need to register for the 15K on March 9th; the same one I did last year for the 1st time. I think I'll probably do 1 more before my wedding too, just to keep me running and in shape for the big day! :) 

No comments: